Thursday, April 6, 2017

Bloodchild Assessment: Week 12

  1. What is the reaction to the text you just read?
- I found it to be interesting, it isn’t my typical read when it comes to stories. The world it was written in was very different than what I was expecting just looking the title. The characters seemed to be intriguing and I rather enjoyed reading the bits where it discussed what they looked like. The mother especially, I thought had a big difference than what I was expecting when reading her responses. I got really interested when they were attempting to help this human give birth to these alien grub creatures. Kind of grotesque, but it felt very suspenseful to me. The only bad thing I can point out is that while I was reading I found it difficult to follow the names of the characters. I had to go back and re-read several times to try and pinpoint who some of the characters were and who they may have been talking about. 

2. What connections did you make with what you read? Discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect. 
- While reading I was interested with this world that they created but it was a bit of a stretch for my imagination to make a mental/visual image for it. When I was able to deduce who the characters were and what role they were suppose to play it made it somewhat relatable. They were helpful and cared for one another. I mostly connected with the suspenseful scenes with the egg birth inside the human, only because of the inner thoughts of the speaker and how terribly scared they were. I was so interested in this scene because of how suspenseful it was to me and how much I wanted to know what happened afterwards. 

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

-Knowing that this is a short story I would very much like to get more details on things as the beginning just seemed kind of blurry to me. There was quite a bit of information that didn’t seem to flow well enough for me to make a definitive mental picture on how I would like things to look. As well as more character development, the more I read the more I realized that characters who were mentioned seemed a bit neglected. Given that this is a short story it’s understandable, but I just felt as if some didn’t need to be mentioned because they held such little importance. I can see this as a movie, visual depiction I feel would help this quite a bit. And based on how long the film is I feel that if characters were to be mentioned they would be able to have some definitive importance if there was face to go with the name at least. Possibly even a short film would be alright, but even with that I feel that you could kick out some characters as they were just standing in the background waiting to be mentioned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment