Sunday, February 26, 2017

Harry Potter and the "Philosophers" Stone

For this week I read “Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone”. I grew up on Harry Potter in the sense that I saw the movies before I read any of the books. I’ve never read the very first one before this but I do have a very firm grasp on the film. It helps to make the comparison between the two to see what did or didn’t make the cut in the movie version when it was present in the book. 
To start off I was pretty startled to read the personalities of the characters. Without seeing the faces of the actors I had a different take on how the characters would be acting. I saw Harry and Hermione as having a lot more sassiness in the book and Ron didn’t seem as funny to me. He was still a very fun character to follow along with but instead of how they portrayed him in the movie as the pure comic relief at either the best or worst time I felt his presence was a bit more serious than how he is portrayed in the film. 

Something else that I was sad to learn didn’t make it into the film was close to the end when Hermione is suppose to do a potion trial to help Harry progress to see Voldemort. They focus on Ron taking charge during the chess match and Harry using his talent from quidditch to solve the trials while Hermione just mildly helps beside the two to finish these two trials. When this came to my attention it made me a bit upset that it didn’t make it into the film version. And upon learning in future books that she does more to fulfill a strong role like Ron and Harry. She does quite a bit to begin with but learning of what she could’ve been doing is a slight disappointment. But I was thrilled to learn of this and imagine what could’ve been. 

1 comment:

  1. Cool, I too watched the movies before reading them and I really want to read them, but I want to be able to do it with fresh eyes... and that might not be that easy haha

    ReplyDelete